My daughter asked if I could make a skirt for her, so we picked out this fun cotton fabric with a lace print together, washed and prepped it for sewing, then I promptly put it away and didn’t any sort of work on it for a few months. In my defense, I did make three birthday dresses in the interim.
I wanted to include smocking on this project, which posed the problem of the waistband. I like to make clothes that can grow with the kids, especially with the amount of time that I put into my sewing projects (I’m definitely not a “finished in a weekend” sort of person), which meant that I needed to figure out how to put in an elastic waistband.
I ended up marking the waistband casing on the fabric, then carefully running it through the pleater with only the needles below that line threaded. After the smocking was finished and the gathering threads were removed, I hand basted the elastic casing in place, so I wouldn’t wind up fighting with all the folds of fabric under the machine presser foot. It was all frightfully time consuming.
The embroidery is very subtle against the print on the fabric, which is a touch disappointing because it’s easy to miss how much work I put into this project, but the skirt is very full, and very twirly. My daughter loves it.