I made this dress out of a gorgeous linen/rayon blend fabric, which was absolutely wonderful to work with — I’ve fallen heavily for linen, and hope to make lots more dresses out of it in the future.
I took the black fabric covered buttons off of a blouse that had torn a couple months back, which saved me the trouble of making my own buttons. Pretty lucky, in my opinion, since I was pretty dead-set on this dress having a button-up front. In the bust area, I added hooks and eyes to prevent strain on the buttons.
During one of my fittings, I decided that the back felt too exposed for the style of dress that I was aiming for, so I added thread loops and laced a black ribbon through it. I think that it matches the specialty ribbon that I sewed on around the waist, so I’m glad that the addition occurred to me.
The skirt has some pleats in it, and I finished the bottom with a bind hem.
The pictures probably would have come out better if I had gone outside (because of how dark the fabric is), but it’s too cold for me to want to pose for any length of time.