For this skirt, I wanted it to have panels (eight, to be precise), and an opening in the front that is held shut by lacing. I also wanted the top to sit on my natural waist to accentuate that curve and bring out my hourglass figure. So, after I put all that together in my mind, I made a sketch of it and jotted down the key measurements that I needed.
I made a rectangle using the height that I wanted the waistband to be, and the measurement of the widest part of my waist that the band was going to cover. Then, I subtracted the necessary inches from the top of the band.
I pinned the edges of the pattern to meet, and attached it to me in order to make adjustments. I ended up shortening the front and back pieces by 1/2 inch to improve the curve around my waist.
I cut out the pieces, then traced them onto fresh paper and added seam allowances.
I went ahead and drew the pattern for the skirt part directly on the fabric, as it was simple and I didn’t feel like taping lots of tissue paper together.
And there you have a vague description of my process.