I went at a very leisurely pace with this project, and mostly worked while my Baby Girl was taking her naps, so while it was very simple it still took me a few days to complete it. One of the first things that I noticed was that most of the older sewing patterns were very basic, and it was up to the sewer to gussy the garment up.
This pattern is Simplicity 8244, from the year 1977. I used burgundy cotton fabric to make it with.
I plan on replacing the drawstrings with some black ribbon when I get around to it. I also plan on designing a black skirt with a high waist to go specifically with this top.