I decided that since I was going to be sewing around the armhole on a flat machine, I’d save myself some grief and hand baste the sleeve in place first.
It made it so much easier to manage the fabric while sewing.
Then a final press and . . .
Now we’re ready for Autumn.
We last left off with sewing on the facing . . .
Sew it on, clip seam allowances around curves, then press.
I ALWAYS understitch my linings and facings to keep them hidden from the right side. This step makes for a much nicer finished project.
Sew up the sides, finish the armholes, and onto the sleeves.
I finished the edges of the caped sleeves with my serger, then folded down and pressed the top edge. I basted it in place with a regular glue stick, and pressed it again to seal the glue. This will wash right out in the future.
Pin the sleeves into place and call it a day.
I’ve been really curious about those Japanese sewing pattern books on Amazon for quite awhile now, and a couple weeks ago I finally ordered Stylish Party Dresses. For my first project I decided to do:
Copy the pattern onto tissue paper . . .
I decided to go with a fairly thick black fabric that I’ve had in my stash for a few years now. It will probably be too warm for summer, but I have my hopes set on Autumn. The patterns don’t include seam allowances, so I decided to trace it onto my fabric and add the seam allowances there.
Sew shoulder seams together, chain stitching to save time.
Press seams, then finish with the serger.
Thread number four was cut, not broken. I’m using only three threads so I can switch to a narrow rolled hem without too much trouble.
Pin the facing on and quit there, before the kids start exploding.
I’m getting the hang of drafting my own sewing patterns using a sloper, and have been using up my fabric stash on making maternity dresses (number 3 is arriving in February).
All of the back view pictures that I took came out blurry, unfortunately. I also haven’t done the final press yet, so there are some very noticeable wrinkles in the bottom tier.
The bodice is lined with some fairly heavy interfacing, because the blue fabric is very light and shifty, so I wanted it to be a bit sturdier up top. The skirt has a separate lining, which keeps it perfect for twirling in.
I got sick of the boring pillow cases that match the sheets, and took a day to make new ones for the family.
I did a harlequin pattern with black and red for my husband’s pillow.
I bought this dress from dharmatrading.com and dyed it pale pink. The fabric was cut badly off grain, so I ripped it apart, made some corrections, and put it back together. I added the ribbon tie to compensate for the dress being off grain, so now it’s wearable though not perfect.
While I love the idea, the actual dress hasn’t been so great. The quality of this dress has been the worst out of everything that I’ve purchased from dharma so far.